If you suffer from depression, anxiety, mood disorders or mental illnesses, deciding to receive counseling is a big decision. Accepting and confronting issues and feelings you are experiencing can be very scary. If you are unsure if counseling is for you and don’t want to make a big commitment, you can give it a try online. It doesn’t take much time and you can do it in the comfort of your own home. No issue is too small or too big for counseling. If you feel you need someone to talk to, then seek out a counselor who is willing to listen.
Here are 5 reasons you should try online counseling.
- Flexible schedules – Lifestyles are busier than ever and call for convenience. With online counseling, counselors have greater availability so you can avoid missing appointments due to traffic or illness. You also save time by not having to drive. Between work and taking care of children and household chores and civic duties, people are putting more and more on their plates. Online counseling allows you to get counseling whenever you need it and whenever you can fit it into your busy schedule.
- Anonymity – If you are uncomfortable talking to a stranger about your personal life, online counseling may ease your tensions. I know that I find it hard to open up completely about sensitive issues to someone I don’t know. Being able to receive counseling in the comfort of your own home can add a level of security and help you open up. They don’t even have to hear your voice, as online counseling can be done through live chats on a messaging app.
- Better chance of matching with a therapist – Finding a therapist you “click” with and feel comfortable with can take a long time. It can be discouraging if you are not able to find a therapist near you. With online counseling, you aren’t limited to the therapists within a certain radius of your geographical location. This is also helpful for people who live in remote areas.
- More affordable than traditional therapy – Online counseling is more affordable because the cost of operation is lower. Brick and mortar counseling offices have to rent space, pay utilities, and pay employees, among other things. You also save on gas by not having to commute.
- Great for long-distance relationships – If you and a significant other or a family member live in different states, online counseling is a great solution for you. If you are seeking a relationship counselor and one party is traveling or can’t commit to a regular schedule, online counselors can meet your needs.
BetterHelp is an amazing resource for online counseling. BetterHelp provides convenient, discreet and affordable access to a licensed therapist. Professional counseling is available anytime you need it. You can receive online counseling through a computer, tablet or smartphone. You can chat through messaging, telephone calls, and even video, depending on your needs and comfort level. BetterHelp is so affordable too. It costs between $40-70 per week. In-person therapy can cost anywhere between $75 and $200 per session. It only takes about 5 minutes to complete the questionnaire and sign up.