Fashion is supposed to be about having fun, but it’s hard to feel good about unethical choices. Luckily there are many things you can do to keep your wardrobe green and sustainable.
- Research sustainable materials
When you’re shopping for new clothing it’s worth educating yourself on the most sustainable clothing materials out there. Organic cotton is an amazing alternative to traditional cotton. Organic cotton doesn’t rely on toxic chemicals or pesticides throughout the production. As well as this, organic cotton only needs a small amount of water. Hemp is another highly sustainable material. Growing hemp has no negative impact on the environment; it enriches the earth as it grows.
- Support the most ethical brands
Some brands are more sustainable than others, so it’s best to do a bit of research. To support your research, try checking out the ‘Good On You’ app. The app provides plenty of information on fashion brands, and how green and ethical they are. Good On You rates brands based on their impact on people, animals, and the planet. Brands that score ‘5’ are highly sustainable. Brands that score ‘1’ are not considered to be earth-kind or ethical. With the help of the app, you can make better choices about the fashion brands you’re funding.
- Quality clothing & accessories
Inexpensive items can be very tempting, however, cheap products aren’t always great quality. When you buy cheap items you may find that it’s not long before you have to replace them. A constant cycle of buying and replacing clothing creates lots of waste. The best thing to do is to choose higher-quality clothing and accessories that will last a long time. Whether it’s a winter coat or a new watch, consider durability when you shop. If you’re looking for top-quality watches, be sure to check out WatchBox Patek Nautilus watch collection.
4 . Shop for vintage clothing
If you want to create a seriously green wardrobe, vintage clothing is the way to go. Choosing vintage items allows you to create a unique look, without overspending. To find vintage clothing online, these apps have got some beautiful items:
- Vestiaire Collective: This app is a great place to buy vintage clothes. Using Vestiaire collective you can find clothing from designers and leading brands, for a small fraction of the retail price.
- Object Limited: Looking for some seriously cute vintage finds? Object Limited has so many gorgeous items to create the perfect look. Treat yourself to a 1930’s style dress or a pair of flares from the ’70s. Shopping for vintage clothes is also a great way to save money on fashion items.
- Donate your unwanted items
Go through your wardrobe at least twice and year, and get rid of anything you don’t need. You can sell these items on second-hand apps, or choose to donate them to a charity store. Giving your old items a new home helps you to create less waste, ensuring that your wardrobe stays green!