If you’re like me, you want to maintain bright, glowing skin, but you also don’t want to blow your budget—and it’s no secret that skincare can get to be pretty pricey. The key to better skin and a balanced budget? Harmonizing the two! There are plenty of inexpensive remedies you can use, in addition to using your skincare staples to achieve gorgeous skin while still being able to stay in line with your financial goals.
In this article, we’ll discuss our best budget-friendly tips by skin condition you can use to strike the perfect balance between budget and beauty.
For puffy eyes
Sometimes beauty rest just isn’t enough to make you look and feel bright eyed and bushy tailed in the AM. If you need a little boost to clear puffiness and dark circles under your eyes, here are some helpful tricks to illuminate your mornings.
- Use chilled tea bags to combat puffy eyes. Put chamomile or green tea bags into the freezer and let them chill overnight. Before applying any makeup, let the tea bags rest on your eyes for 5-10 minutes, then moisturize.
- Puffy eyes can also be caused by allergies. If you suffer from seasonal or environmental allergies, acting on your allergy issues could be an effective first step in brightening tired eyes.
- Another cause of puffy eyes is dehydration. Be sure to carry a reusable water bottle with you at all times to stay hydrated and promote better skin. (Bonus: with a reusable bottle, you’re also saving money on buying beverages while you’re out and about).
Whether you deal with hormonal acne, chronic cheek acne, or acne scarring, figuring out a way to control your blemishes is far from easy, especially when you’re on a budget. There are many factors that can influence your acne flare ups, so it might be worth getting a consultation with a dermatologist to help you figure out what’s causing your adult acne as this can save you some time and money experimenting with various products and remedies.
With that said, there are a few general (and budget-friendly) tips that can help you keep your acne under control.
- Avoid touching your face: This one is a hard habit to break, but it’s totally free and incredibly effective. If you think about all of the things your hands tough throughout the day—doorknobs, your computer keyboard, your phone—it’s no surprise that hands collect dirt and grime that can easily be transferred to your face. Be sure to wash your hands consistently, avoid touching your face, and be sure to disinfect that smartphone of yours!
- Change your sheets regularly: Like your hands, your sheets and pillowcases also collect grime that can worsen acne. Be sure to change your sheets at least every other week and change out your pillowcases weekly.
- Modify your diet: Greasy foods, indigestion, and sugar may be contributing to your acne flare ups. Make an effort to incorporate more leafy greens and multivitamins to make sure your skin is getting all of the beauty-boosting nutrients it needs!
- Wash your face twice daily, and after the gym: Sweating can exacerbate acne so it’s important to wash your face twice a day as usual, plus after working out!
For brighter skin
Whether it’s a lack of sleep, dehydration, or just a symptom of aging, many people deal with dull skin but wish that wasn’t the case. There are tons of brightening serums on the market, but not all of them are effective and many of them cost a pretty penny.
To achieve brighter skin, try these tips:
- Eat plenty of antioxidants such as blueberries, leafy greens, and legumes.
- Reduce your sugar intake.
- Use green tea as a toner to brighten dull skin, eliminate cotton swabs and apply with a jade roller for best results.
For dry skin
Dry skin is one of the most common and irritating skin conditions. If you have dry skin but have yet to find an effective treatment for it, you may be looking for other options. Here are some inexpensive hacks to help you get rid of dry skin once and for all!
- Drink more water
- Apply coconut water to hydrate dry areas
- Make your own hydrating honey mask
- Use olive oil to cleanse and hydrate skin
Striking the perfect balance between your beauty routine and your budgetary goals isn’t easy. Use these tips to help!