Caramel Apple Cupcakes
(Makes about 12 cupcakes)
For apple cupcakes
3 large granny smith apples
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup apple juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
green food coloring to desired color
For caramel apple frosting
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
4-5 tablespoons milk
3-4 teaspoons apple vodka, to taste
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
For caramel drizzle
1/2 cup evaporated milk
4oz individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped
green decorating sugar
To make cupcakes
- Preheat oven 350F.
- Rinse and core the apples. Place them on an ovenproof pan or baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes until soft. Remove the apples from the oven, let cool slightly, then remove peel and mush the apple with the back of a fork. Measure out 1 cup of apple mush and set aside to cool.
- Combine flour, sugar, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt in a medium sized bowl and whisk to combine. Crack the eggs into a separate, medium sized bowl and beat.
- Add the oil, apple juice, vanilla, and cooled apple mush and mix to combine.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients until all ingredients come together.
- Scoop into cupcake liners. Bake for 20-22 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
To make frosting
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar and 4 tablespoons milk; cook 1 minute or until sugar melts. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Combine butter mixture and apple vodka in a large bowl. Gradually add powdered sugar; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add last tbsp milk, 1 TEAspoon at a time, beating until spreading consistency. (You might not use all of the last tbsp.)
To make caramel drizzle
- Combine evaporated milk and caramels in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook stirring frequently until caramels are melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Let cool for a few minutes before putting it in a piping bag (or ziplock bag with a small snip cut off in the corner) and slowly drizzle over cupcake.
- [NOTE: I used a plastic squeezy “ketchup” bottle to drizzle the caramel. It’s easy and you can save the leftovers!]
To assemble cupcakes
Fill piping bag with frosting and use a star tip to pipe onto cupcake. Sprinkle green colored sugar on top. Garnish with caramel drizzle.
Recipe Credit: I Heart Cuppy Cakes
You’ll Love These Recipes:
Here are some other recipes to inspire you. 🙂