Homemade Apple Crisp Recipe
It is foggy and cold and rainy outside, but that can’t keep me down! May is National Barbecue Month! And it couldn’t be more fitting with Memorial Day weekend approaching. This weekend usually marks the kickoff to summer, which I am very excited about. There’s no better way to celebrate the beginning of summer than heading outdoors for a cookout with family and friends.
And don’t forget about dessert! Serve it cold or warm, but this Apple Crisp recipe will surely be a hit at your barbecue. Wash it down with a refreshing Sparkling Ice beverage to beat the heat.
This recipe is from Sparkling Ice.
Homemade Apple Crisp
For The Crumble:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter cut into cubes
For The Apples:
- ¾ cup Crisp Apple Sparkling Ice
- 8 red apples Gala or Fuji preferred
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch
For the Crumble:
- Combine brown sugar and flour in a mixing bowl, and cut in the butter with your hands. Mixture should look coarse with some chunks the size of peas.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to harden up.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pour the crumble on.
- Bake for 12-18 minutes or until light brown.
- Place baking tray on a wire rack to cool.
For the Apples:
- Core and cube the apples and place in a large bowl of cold water to avoid browning.
- Whisk together the cornstarch with Sparkling Ice in a small mixing bowl, set aside.
- In a medium saucepan melt 2 tablespoons of the butter.
- Add the apples, salt, and cinnamon. Sautee over a medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Pour the Sparkling Ice and cornstarch mixture into the pot, stirring continuously.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the remaining tablespoon of butter.
- Break the cooled crumble up with your hands to desired size.
- Scoop the warm apples into 6 small ramekins or an 8 inch square serving dish.
- Top with crumble.
- Serve immediately.